Skip to main content

I have just installed Windows XP SP1 and am running Maximizer v6.0 with Service Pack 3.

Since installing the XP SP1, I find that searching on a range does not appear to work.

The range window pops up fine, and allows me to enter the range criteria, but when I press enter the range is wiped out. If I go on and continue the search, a selection is made but I have no idea on what basis.

Any ideas before I back out the XP upgrade?
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

The following is taken from Multiactives knowledge base at Multiactive.com with details about addressing this problem.

Reference #
020222-000000

quote:
In Windows 2000 and Windows XP, certain Maximizer screens do not properly display information. This manifests itself in the following ways:

a. Entries added for Table User-Defined Field (UDF) Items are not displayed

b. Address Book names in the Open Address Book Folder screen are displayed as a blank line

c. Entries added for drop-down tables (for example, City, Country, Position, Company, etc.) are not diplayed

d. Alphabetic search criteria shows up as blank.

e. ODBC error received after creating an ODBC DSN connection on a database with a "blank" name (related to item [b]).

If you witness one of these issues on your machine, you will see all of them.

Answer
This issue has many causes. Most of which can be solved by following one or more of the suggestions below:

Upgrading Windows 2000
As shipped, Windows 2000 does not have the latest service packs (service pack 2 at the time of this writing). It also does not have the latest version of DirectX (version 8.1).

Upgrade Windows 2000 to have service pack 2 and DirectX 8.1. Both can be downloaded and installed from the Microsoft website: http://www.microsoft.com/

Windows XP already has DirectX 8.1 and (at the time of this writing) no service packs for download.

Using Windows-certified video drivers
This suggestion (in combination with the one above) has resolved many display issues.

Check the Microsoft Hardware Compatibility List (http://www.microsoft.com/hcl/) to see if your video driver is compatible or certified for your version of Windows. If not, check the website of your video card manufacturer to find the latest driver or obtain a video card that complies (or is compatible) with Windows 2000/XP.

Removing background programs
There may be something running in the background that may be interfering with the operation of Maximizer.

Something you can try is disabling all background programs from your startup routine before running Maximizer to see if that works. This means removing all items from your Startup folder (i.e. Start > Programs > Startup), shutting down programs from your System Tray, removing startup items in the Environment Variables section, and going into Task Manager (i.e. press Ctrl-Alt-Del and click Task Manager) to remove non-essential processes and programs. It is recommended to have an experienced technical user to help you with the Task Manager.

Once you have Maximizer running, you can re-enable background programs, one by one to see which program is affecting Maximizer's display screens.

Here are some programs that have interfered with Maximizer:

-Panicware's popup-stopper
-Omnipage Pro
-S3 display adaptor video driver
-ATI Radeon dual monitor drivers
-Kensington mouse drivers
-ctfmon.exe - a component of Windows Office XP

For Sony Vaio Users
Two programs have been found to interfere with Maximizer, resulting in the video display issues:

- hkserv (C:\Program Files\Sony\Hotkey Utility\Hkserv.exe)
- jogserv2 (C:\Program Files\Sony\Jog Dial Utility\Jogserv2.exe)

Disabling these two programs resolves the video display issues for users of the Sony Vaio laptops.

Disabling OCR Software
Certain instances of this issue may relate to OCR (Optical Character Recognition) scanning software. Disabling this might resolve the display issue.

Regards
Maxtalk Administrator
Last edited by advocosolutions
I had the same problem. I didn't see the reply given previously. I did waste 20 mins on the phone to multiactive UK technical support, . At the end of which I was told Max 6 isn't supported on windows XP.

I eventually solved the problem by a complete uninstall of maximizer i.e. all related registry entries deleting all folders etc.

On reintalling it worked fine.

[This message was edited by Admin on November 13, 2002 at 02:00 PM.]
Last edited {1}

Add Reply

CONTACT US
Copyright 2007-2018 Advoco Solutions Ltd. All Rights Reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.